Paint colour have the most dramatic effect on your home, and it is the least expensive way to update your home.
Re-painting your home can be a very exciting project to take on. You get to transform the rooms of your home into your own creative masterpiece. As always, the largest journeys begin with a single step, this step being the colour paint that you choose. Today we’re going to dive into the process in choosing the best possible colour of paint for your home renovation project.
STEP 1: Define the Mood
First things first, you’re going to define the mood of the room that you’re going to be painting. Consider the following things:
- Is the room somewhere that you want to relax, or get excited?
- Is there a theme that you would like to apply to your room?
- Soft, cool color paint usually gives a feeling of relaxation while stronger paint colors give a sense of drama.
STEP 2: Pay Attention to Lighting Before Choosing Paint Colour
One thing that is generally overlooked is the way that the room will be lit when all is said and done.
- There’s a reason that paint stores have light boxes, they want you to use them!
- Natural daylight shows the truest paint colour.
- Incandescent lighting brings warm tones to the front.
- Fluorescent lighting tends to cast a blue tone over the paint colour.
A strong colour may be bad if it is a wall that is next to a large window, but it could be effective in an indirectly lit situation.
STEP 3: Testing the Colours and Paint Color Combinations
When you have your choice narrowed down to one or two colours, the next step would be to test the colour in your room.
- This may seem overkill, but if you are not 100% sure, get a poster board-sized sample of your paint colour and hang it on the wall
- When testing paint colours, go beyond your comfort zone. If you like soft colours, try a couple warm ones.
STEP 4: Accenting the Wall
- Once you have decided on a paint colour to use, consider using some finishing techniques to add depth to your wall. We have already done a tutorial on rag painting here.
- Also, if the room seems boring and no real life to it or if you want to pick paint colors for Living Room consider, painting a feature accent wall. Click here to see our blog on How to Paint Accent Walls in Toronto.
That’s all there is to it. Remember that this is, at the end of the day, a personal choice. You’re the one who is going to have to look at the wall every day, so if you don’t like it, choose a different paint colour !
We Can help you pick the right paint colour for the interior of your home in Toronto
Of course, if you would like some input in the process of painting your walls in Toronto and the GTA, why not give Home Painters Toronto a call? With over 25 years of experience in home renovations, call us NOW at 416.494.9095, or email us at [email protected]m to get a FREE estimate for your interior painting project.