Painting the exterior of your Toronto home is hard work but great for curb appeal!
Remember watching old television shows and “dad” is on the ladder with a wide, old natural hard wood handled paintbrush, not a bit of paint on him? That’s not the true story of exterior house painting when you do-it-yourself. Surprised? Us either! Now that you’ve finished preparing your exterior, it’s time to get painting.
Painting the exterior of your Toronto home is a lot of work, can be VERY messy if you aren’t careful, and potentially dangerous as well if dealing with ladders. It is important to consider protecting your landscaping and cars when doing DIY Painting. You don’t want to get paint all over your bushes (or your brand new car!). Most hardware stores and paint stores carry plastic paint sheets that you can use to protect newly any surface from getting covered in paint.
While professional painters sometimes use paint sprayers for external house painting (because it is faster and may provide a more even appearance than by hand), it can be very messy in the hands of a novice sprayer. You may find without proper training, paint sprayers can cause more damage than good, so leave them to the professionals if possible.
Painting the Exterior: Exterior House Painting Tips from Home Painters Toronto:
- Start at the top of your house and work your way down. This serves 2 purposes. First, it allows you go DOWN the ladder instead of UP as you work, preventing potentially life threatening falls. Also, when prepping/scraping the paint off, you will have debris falling on the bottom areas that you just painted. Second, painting from top to bottom prevents messy drips and missed spots. Ideally, you should also start painting from the left side and work your way right because you are more likely to see any missed spots.
- Don’t start painting if it might rain. While latex paint is fairly steadfast once it’s dried, a good rain while it’s wet, can wash the paint away. It’s better to wait until the rain is no longer in the forecast than trying to paint on a rainy day and have to start all over again later.
Professional Home Painters Toronto Tip
- Follow the shade. When you are painting the exterior of your Toronto home, you would be wise to follow the shade from your house and avoid the sun. As the sun moves around your house, try to avoid the sun as much as possible because you may become overheated by the sun beating down on you, and painting in direct sunlight depending on the heat of the day is not good for the application process and can cause bubbling/adhesion issues. For example, it’s sunny in the morning on the east side of the house, so paint on the west side of the house.
- Prevent dehydration and dizziness from eating properly, drinking lots of water and staying in the shade during the hotter parts of the day while painting the exterior of your house.
- Use a paint brush for better control and better precision. As we mentioned earlier, paint sprayers can be messy in an unpracticed hand. Alternatively, you could use a mini-roller to go along your siding a little quicker. Except for siding, brick, large doors, try to avoid using rollers as they don’t cover as well, and harder to be precise than using a paint brush.
With more than 25 years’ experience as painting as professional painters, let our experience do the heavy lifting.
Please call us NOW at 416.494.9095, or email us at[email protected] to get a quote for your exterior painting project.