(WSIB) and General Liability Insurance – Homeowners are always urged to check references and past work before hiring a contractor or painter. No one wants to end up with a bad renovation. However many fail to verify if a contractor is insured and covered by WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board or Workers Compensation). That mistake could end up costing you WAY more than a bad renovation.
Is it Important Your Painter has (WSIB) and General Liability Insurance Coverage?
Injury and insurance coverage might seem like an afterthought, but ponder these statistics and you’ll quickly learn it’s much more of a problem than you might think.
- In Ontario alone, 2 out of 3 painting contractors ARE NOT insured by Workers Compensation (WSIB)
- 39% of General Contractors in Canada DO NOT have General Liability Insurance Coverage
- In 2010 in Ontario, there were 22,000 injuries with 12 resulting in death
Statistics also show that the smaller the Toronto painting contractor the more likelihood of a claim. Contractors with annual revenues of under $1 million averaged five claims per year.
So how could that end up costing you? If a worker is injured on your property and the painting contractor is not covered by WSIB, the cost could come out of your own pocket.
- Uninsured homeowners could PERSONALLY be responsible for a worker’s injuries sustained while working on their property.
- In the absence of proper coverage, the homeowner’s insurance policy becomes the primary insurance to cover ALL medical, lost wages and injury expenses.
- If the homeowner knowingly hired an unlicensed contractor, their insurance company has the right to deny the claim putting any medical and personal injury bills on the homeowner.
Along with injuries, if a painting contractor has General Liability Insurance that also covers you from any property damage (your property and your neighbors) that occurs during a renovation. Again if the contractor lacks insurance, the financial burden of any damage will fall on YOU.
Simply Put: Don’t Hire without WSIB and General Liability Insurance
- If something goes wrong you could be sued and held financially responsible for everything. The risk isn’t worth it.
- That’s why Home Painters Toronto is covered by $5 million in General Liability Insurance and has full WSIB coverage. You can rest assured that when we arrive, your property and our employees are all fully protected.
And remember, along with proper coverage, all our work comes with a Two Year Quality Guarantee. Even when the job is done, we’re still there for you.
Give us a call to set up a free consultation and let us show you why Home Painters Toronto has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and is a top-rated company on www.HomeStars.com.
Call us at 416.494.9095 or email us at [email protected]
And don’t forget hiring Subcontractors or painting contractors without workers compensation (WSIB) and general liability insurance coverage will cost you a lot more than the cheap quotes they give you!