Today’s office culture has changed to home office. Many people are now spending less time at the office and more time at their home office. You probably get that tired, “here we go again”, case-of-the-Mondays feeling as soon as you step into the part of your home set aside for work. The boring white walls and dull carpet shades could make you start reaching for your red stapler and a baseball bat.
If this is the case, you may be someone that needs colour to revitalize the look of your home office. It may be for work, but this is your home as well. I’ve recently redone my own home office, and I can tell you it has made me much more productive – and much happier!
When you decorate your home office, there are a few things you have to think about. You obviously don’t want a boring space while working but you also don’t want an environment too vibrant. This can make it difficult for you to concentrate on the task you need to complete.
Things to Think About When Picking Colors for Your Home Office
Consider the following when trying to pick a colour for your Toronto home office.
- Colour affects the perception of a room’s size and shape. The size of your home office is an important factor to choosing colours.
- A lot of homeowners use a small bedroom as their home office. Choose light colours to make the most of small space.
- Some homeowners use their garages as their home office. Garages are usually darker than other rooms. Pick a light paint colour.
- Take note of the amount of light, whether from windows or light fixtures, that is in the room. The amount of lighting impacts the illusion of openness or gloominess.
- If your home office space has big windows and a lot of natural light, use a light shade.
- If your home office receives little natural lighting (garage), use a warm color like yellow, yellow-green or off white colours. Keep the depth of color light.
- Cool or warm colours could be used in a sunny room.
Color Your Mood
- Determine what main colour or combinations work best for your situation. When in doubt: simpler is better. Offices can be cluttered enough without the distractions of mismatched colours.
- Decide how you want your office to make you feel. Do you want the colour to stimulate you or to soothe you?
- Remember that there are no wrong colours. What matters is how they work for you. My preference is always warm, modern, and chic. But you have to love your office, not anyone else.
Color Hints and Tips
- Green gives a strong sense of balance.
- Yellow stimulates ego and raises your spirit.
- Red makes you more productive. It stimulates you physically.
- Blue also makes you more productive by stimulating your mind.
- If you want to create a relaxing environment, use pale colours.
Office Furniture and Surroundings
- You don’t need to replace furniture when painting your Toronto home office.
- You can pick a favourite piece of artwork or furniture as a colour foundation.
- Natural wood furniture goes well with warm white.
- Glass and silver goes well with light gray tones. This gives a modern look.
For more information on picking the right paint colour for your home office, give us a call, we’d be happy to help. All of our painting projects include a FREE color consultation and home office design ideas where you can take advantage of our years of professional painting experience. Don’t get confused in a sea of feng-shui for home offices or looking up the color chakras – we can help guide you in the right direction.