Refinishing your wood stairs is an easy way to keep them looking sharp and classy. Choosing to refinish your wood stairs is simple, but it takes a little more knowledge to get the job done and done well. Read on to learn more about refinishing your wood stairs and railings.
- Electric Sander (optional)
- Safety Mask
- Safety Goggles
- Paintbrushes (2)
- Water or Oil Based Polyurethane
1. Sand the Wood Stairs
- If present, remove carpet from stairs.
- You should finely sand the wood stairs along the edges, not forgetting to do the top face as well. Sanding stair treads helps the stain absorb a lot better.
- Put on a face mask while sanding the staircase to protect your lungs. You may choose to wear safety goggles as well.
- Sand in the the direction of the grain using a good quality sandpaper, especially if you’re doing this by hand.
- Once you have completed this, make sure you thoroughly vacuum any dust left behind.
2. Stain the Wood Stairs
- The colour of your wood stain will not always match the colour of stain originally applied to the wood stairs. Keep in mind that the longer it sets, the darker it will become.
- If you are using a water-based stain to refinish hardwood stairs and railings , you’ll need more than one coat.
- Using a paintbrush, apply the stain onto the wood stairs or use a rag and apply it that way.
- Work quick and be sure the stain penetrates the wood and soaks into its pores.
- Be sure to wipe it with another clean rag so there is no puddle effect of stain on the wood stairway.
- Let dry. Apply another coat to the stained stairs in the same process if you wish the stain to be a darker colour.
3. The Trick for Staining Stairs and Railings
- While staining may be good enough for some, there is an important step or trick to cover while refinishing stairs: apply a top coat.
- Either a water-based top coat for faster dry time or an oil-based for better application will do.
- Allow to dry for time intended based on the container.
Learning how to refinish stairs when in the mood for staircase refinishing is an excellent choice for beginners who want to know how to do this project efficiently. Now you can enjoy your newly finished staircases and wood stair railings! If this is just something you don’t have time for, give Home Painters Toronto a call! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or by Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com