The roof of your house is one of the most important features of your home. Not only is it one of the first things people see when they pass by, it also provides shelter, keeping you comfortable during Toronto’s changing seasons. Making sure you know these tips by heart will help you avoid having to spend a fortune on roof repair. Read on for 7 helpful tips on how to maintain your roof.
- The insulation in your attic improves your home’s energy efficiency, keeping the inside of your home comfortable even as the temperature drops outside.
- Make sure there aren’t any insulation gaps in your attic where precious heat can escape through.
- Add a vapor layer for that added bit of extra protection.
- It’s important to carefully inspect your roof every single year.
- If you let even the slightest crack go unattended it could end up being much more expensive to fix later after it worsens.
- Springtime is the best time to have a roof inspection done, so mark it in your calendar as a friendly reminder to yourself.
- Staying on top of things that seem like small problems ensures they will not become larger problems in the future.
3. Water Be Gone!
- Running water is essential to a fully-functional home, but when it appears where it shouldn’t extensive water damage can occur.
- Check the gutters and make sure they are clear of dirt or any other kind of buildup. Your roof functions best at keeping water out when the gutter is doing its job well.
- Trim back tree branches that hang over your roof to avoid turning cleaning the gutters into a full-time job.
4. Unwanted Growth?
- If the environmental factors are right then your house may start to develop roof growth.
- Moss in particular is a big issue for roofs underneath large trees. Trimming, as mentioned above, can also minimize shade and will allow the sun to inhibit unwanted moss growth.
- If you’re particularly worried about roof growth, check underneath shingles to ensure that moss hasn’t started to grow there.
- Don’t get nervous when you hear or see this word, regular roof checks mean smaller repairs.
- It also helps to remind yourself that ever roof repair is an investment, and worth every penny.
- You should be able to do a lot of the smaller repairs yourself, but hiring a professional is a good way of ensuring that the job is done properly the first time.
- While insulation is key in attics to keep the heat in, good air circulation will keep moisture buildup from occurring.
- One way of properly ventilating an attic is to add vents with screens on them.
- If you have a particularly large attic, attic fans are a good option as well.
- Flashing seals and protects joints and prevents water from getting through.
- If you don’t already have it, consider installing roof flashing as its ability to contract and expand to accommodate weather changes is incredibly useful, especially in Toronto.
The above tips highlight how you can prepare yourself for the changing seasons and keep your home energy efficient, safe, and comfortable. If you would like help, HPT is here for you! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email [email protected]!