How To Replace A Roof Shingle
At this point we’re deep into fall, and as the temperature drops the winds grow in strength. Branches and other debris can end up being blown about and bouncing off your roof. This can result in damaged shingles, which isn’t something you really want to think about given the next upcoming season. The good news is that it’s completely possible to repair or replace these roof shingles easily!
Materials That You Will Need:
- Pry Bar
- Shingle Cement/Adhesive
- New Roof Shingles
1. Locate and Remove the Shingle(s) that Need to Be Replaced
- Make your way onto the roof using a ladder, ensuring that it’s secure before placing your whole weight on it.
- Carefully loosen the shingle adhesive located under the five tabs in or around the second row above the damaged shingle. This is done because the end seams are lined 6″ – 12″ off to the side of the damaged shingle.
- Using a pry bar, lift nails that have been exposed.
- Lift the tabs about 45-60 degrees and be certain you don’t break them.
- Loosen the adhesive that is under the damaged shingle, it should come free.
2. Replace the Shingle & Re-Seal
- Replace the old roof shingle with a new one by nailing it in place.
- With shingle adhesive/cement reseal the edges of the shingle and press down firmly.
- Secure it by nailing it in once more just to make sure it’s nice and tight.
This is a quick and easy fix on how to replace a roof shingle. Because this job is quite easy to do, as long as you stay on top of it by replacing damaged shingles often, you won’t need to completely re-shingle your roof in the future! If you would like some help with this, have HPT assist you! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.