10 Questions You MUST Ask When You Hire A Painter
When referring or hiring a painter, there are certain questions you must ask yourself before hiring anyone. When considering house painting in Toronto or anywhere else, it can be a scary process finding a reliable professional painter you can trust. It can be very daunting to have to find qualified local painting contractors and rely on them. Especially if they were never referred to you or you have never seen their work.
We’re here to give you a list of some critical questions you may want to ask a painting contractor to make sure they are qualified painters for the job.
Here are the 10 Questions you MUST Ask Before You Hire a Painter:
1. Ask For A Written Warranty
- When reaching out to a painting company, it’s crucial to ask what different warranties they offer to their clients. Interior painting warranties are especially important as your home sees so much wear and tear from being lived in. Exterior painting warranties are vital as well due to weather and climate issues.
2. Do They Have A Clearance Certificate from Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB)?
- If the painting contractor doesn’t have WSIB and a painter gets injured, then you and your home insurance are liable for this pro painter’s current and future wages as well as medical expenses. So, WSIB is a top criteria for hiring a painting company who not only protects their house painters, but also their clients.
3. What About Liability Insurance?
- Minimum $1 million liability but $5 million liability insurance is preferred. If an accident occurs (i.e. a bad paint spill or damaged property), you are liable for your own property, unless you want to go through the hassle of legal measures. This is good to have especially if the painting job size is less than the value of what can be damaged.
4. How Many Years Has The Painting Company Been In Business?
- When thinking about who you should pick when looking to hire a painter, it’s best to consider how long they have been in business. A minimum 5 years of professional painting experience, is great. But preferably over 10 years in the painting services business is always best. You know they have experience and have built up a good client base.
A few more questions to consider
6. Ask To See Criminal Record Checks Before You Hire A Painter
- Would you let a stranger into your house if there’s a 50/50 chance they have a criminal record? Well, without at least checking them, that’s what you are doing. Now this can be done online using:
- Toronto Police Clearance Checks
- Or asking for their Clearance Badge that all employees should have if they have been checked. Every reputable painting company should easily be able to provide a Clearance Badge to their employees which will help to give you peace of mind.
7. Ask To See Portfolios From Previous Painting Jobs
- Before & After photos are a great way to scope out the work your potential painting contractor has completed in the past. It’s also a great way to see how they successfully transition space from outdated to modern and clean!
8. Do They Have A Local business Address Or Just A Business Card?
- It’s important to check out that there is an actual and legitimate painting company set up. Otherwise, who knows if the warranties they promise and the expertise of the painters will actually hold up.
9. Ask About Starting And Finishing Times
- If you’re on a tight timeline for your painting project, it’s important to put it in writing on the property painting contract! Finding painting contractors who will stick to a schedule and specific timeline is crucial.
10. What Are The Quality Of Materials That Are Being Used?
Use your instincts and intuition when looking to hire a painter
In the end, it’s important to use your gut instinct and intuition when it comes to hiring a painting company. If you set up a free quote and felt as though you really hit it off, follow those good feelings. Sure, some people are just trying to sell to you. But if you come across someone who shows that they really care about transforming your home and your life then you know you’ve hit a goldmine. That sincerity and going that extra mile are hard to come by. Plus, if they have the expertise to provide you with quality painting that’s smooth, fresh and clean looking — so much the better!
More interesting blogs related to “10 Questions You MUST Ask When You Hire A Painter” :
Did this help make your decision as to who it should be when you hire a painting company? There is so much to think about in terms of finding the right painting contractors for the work you need completed. Let our professional house painters handle everything! Call 416.494.9095 or email brian@HomePaintersToronto.com for a FREE quote. And don’t forget to visit us on social media (below) as well!
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.