Exterior Painting Cost Estimate- When it comes to painting the exterior of your house before you pick up the paintbrush, put on your painting clothes and drop down the tarp – don’t forget to consider the cost of exterior painting.
It’s important to understand how much exterior painting will cost, so you can budget for the project. If you’re not sure how much to paint a house exterior in Canada, don’t worry. The following guide can help you estimate the costs of your project.
The Cost Of Painting The Exterior Of A House In Canada
The cost of painting the exterior of a house in Canada depends on a variety of factors, including:
• The size of your home and how much square footage needs to be painted.
• Your contractor’s experience level and quality of workmanship.
• Whether or not you need to prepare your house before painting (for example, scraping off loose paint or repairing holes).
• What type of paint you choose for the job.
• The time of year you are painting or the weather conditions on the day of your project.
But to give you an idea of what to expect, here are some average costs for painting the exterior of a home in Canada:
• Small exterior painting job: $2,000 to $4,000 + HST
• Medium exterior painting job: $4,000 to $8,000 + HST
• Large exterior painting job: $8,000 to $10,000 + HST
• XL exterior painting job: $12,000 to $30,000 + HST
Considerations for Your House Exterior Painting
- A project like painting your house often gets developed from a great inspirational idea and the cost of painting your house exterior can get overlooked. You can count on spending approximately $2 – $4 per square foot for a close estimate of the cost of exterior painting. Usually, this cost does factor in that you are hiring a licensed and (hopefully) insured exterior painting contractor in Toronto and the GTA.
2. Before hiring right away – the cost of painting the exterior of your house can vary from different painting contractors. You should have a checklist of all the qualifications that the Toronto painting contractor should have before you pick the right one. Things such as:
• An up-to-date license, and if they are bondable and insured professional painters. Always make sure that you hire carefully and get at least 3 other estimates before selecting the painting contractor of choice for any interior and exterior painting job.
How Will Exterior Painting Costs Add Up?
• When factoring in the cost of painting the exterior of your house, you will need to consider the size of your house and which materials to use. As well as the amount of prep work required, the particular season of the year and even the type and colour of paint!
• If you select the highest quality paint and are painting the exterior of your house a lighter colour than what you had before– there will be more cost for the paint. Because extra applications of both primer and paint may be needed.
• If you have a large Toronto house that has a steep roof or an intricate architectural exterior layout – it will be difficult to access and can take more time to complete. If you have many windows and trims and need them all taped off and covered, the prep work will also take longer.
• Hiring a seemingly cheap painting contractor may not always cost you less in the long run. If your painting contractor is not insured with WSIB, then you will be liable for any accidents that may occur at your house. Also, if they do not have any Guarantee on their workmanship then they will be less interested in doing the job right. Meaning you may have to repaint sooner and/or have a professional contractor come in to fix their mistakes. Costing you much more than what you thought you had to save initially!
Exterior Painting Tips:
• Discuss the possibility of doing the exterior painting prep work yourself. For details, see our blog: How to prep your house for exterior painting. In a lot of cases, the labour costs for exterior paint jobs contribute to the grand total the most. If you do these things you will usually end up saving a lot of money.
Tips on How to Get the Best Deal from Your Painter
If you are looking for a professional painter, you will want to make sure that you get a good deal. The last thing that you want is to be overcharged or have the job done poorly.
Here are a few tips to help you get the best deal from your painter:
1. Get multiple quotes:
Don’t just take the first bid from a contractor or painter—get at least three different quotes so that you can compare prices and quality of work.
2. Ask for references:
When you get a quote from a contractor or painter, make sure that they can provide references for past projects so that you can see their work firsthand. If they don’t have any references, ask them why not!
They should know what they’re doing, but they may not have had many opportunities to prove themselves just yet. You don’t want to hire someone with no experience!
3. Prep your home:
Before you hire a contractor or painter, make sure that your home is in good condition and ready for painting. Offer to hose or clean the surface of your exterior before they arrive. This will make their job a lot easier and save you money by ensuring that they don’t have to do it themselves.
4. Ask for discounts:
Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount! Especially if you have a huge project. Contractors will often offer discounts to customers who hire them for multiple projects at once. This is because it saves them time and energy since they don’t have to move their equipment around so much. You should also ask about any special offers or deals that they may be running at the moment.
7 MORE Secrets on How to Get a Cheaper Price From Your Painter
More Interesting Blogs Related to
“What Does Exterior Painting Usually Cost in Toronto”
Exterior painting doesn’t have to cost you an arm or a leg – if you invest the time in finding the right painting contractor in the GTA and have carefully weighed out your options of just how much the exterior painting will cost, you can have it done within a reasonable budget! At Home Painters Toronto we will gladly help you save on a quality interior exterior painting of your home. Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com! And don’t forget to follow us on all our social channels below as well!