How To Fix Door Trim Chewed By A Dog
Often, when dogs are young and left unattended, homeowners will find themselves faced with the problem of having chewed wooden door trim. Showing your pet that the trim or furniture around your home is not a chew toy is a definite first step towards prevention. Another top tip is to make sure your dog has plenty of puppy chew toys and bones that will distract them from chewing on trim or wood furniture.
If you want to repair the trim on your own then read on and find out how to fix door trim that has been chewed by a dog!
Materials That You Will Need for How To Fix Door Trim Chewed By Dog:
- Putty Knife
- Drywall Joint Compound
- Epoxy Wood Filler
- Pull Scraper
- Wood Primer
1. Sand the Door Trim Chewed By Dog
- This is where you want to get out your handy pull scraper. Pull scrapers are great because they are ergonomically designed for extra leverage. They also offer maximum scraping efficiency. You’ll definitely want to pick up one of these tools if your pup has chewed the trim in several rooms!
- With your pull scraper, scrape the surface of the wood to remove surface splinters.
- Then, using the sandpaper, sand the damage down by going with the grain of the wooden door trim. Also, try to sand smooth areas that cannot be filled in.
- It’s okay if you remove the finish with the sand paper, as you can touch that up later.
2. Fill the Gashes on the Trim
- It’s important to fill in any gashes on the trim. In the end, this will ensure a smooth and more uniform look for your wood trim.
- Apply the drywall joint compound with the putty knife to fill in any gashes.
- A good one to use is Rapid Coat Compound. It goes on smooth and sands really easily.
- Wait for your compound to dry, then sand smooth.
- You can use an epoxy wood filler to repair the gouges as well.
- For this you can use something like LePage Wood Filler. You can pick out different tints as well to better match your wood trim.
- Then you can go in with your sand paper and sand it until it’s smooth.
3. Prime and Paint the Wooden Door Trim
- Now is the fun part! Your trim will be looking just the same as your other wooden trim that hasn’t been affected by little puppy teeth.
- With your wood primer and paint you can paint over the repaired wooden door frame and have it looking like new in no time!
- For this we suggest checking out Benjamin Moore’s INSL-X’s Primer in Prime Lock. It’s fast drying and hides scuff marks over the years.
- It’s really important to choose the right trim paint or stain. After all, your wood trim sees a huge amount of traffic over the years. You want it to really withstand the test of time.
More interesting blogs related to ” How To Fix Door Trim Chewed By A Dog “:
- How To Pick Exterior Paint Colours
- Painting The Garage: Everything You Need To Know
- The Best Time Of The Year To Paint The Exterior Of Your House
- Tips For Painting Wooden Exterior Trim
With these simple steps on how to fix door trim chewed by a dog it will be hard to stay mad at your furry friend for long. A good tip is to spray the repaired wooden door trim with vinegar once the paint has dried as it will be less appealing for pets to chew on. Because you can never predict what your dog, or any other furry additions to the family, will do keeping these handy steps close-by could be very helpful in the future. If you would like Home Painters Toronto to help you out, give them a call TODAY! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.