Often, when dogs are young and left unattended, homeowners will find themselves faced with the problem of having chewed wooden door trim. Showing your pet that the trim or furniture around your home is not a chew toy is a definite first step towards preventing this from happening again. If you want to repair the trim on your own then read on and find out how to fix door trim that has been chewed by a dog.
Materials That You Will Need to Fix Door Trim:
- Putty Knife
- Drywall Joint Compound
- Epoxy Wood Filler
- Pull Scraper
- Wood Primer
1. Sand the Door Trim
- With your pull scraper, scrape the surface of the wood to remove surface splinters.
- Using the sandpaper, sand the damage down by going with the grain of the wooden door trim and trying to sand smooth areas that cannot be filled in.
- It’s okay if you remove the finish with the sand paper, as you can touch that up later.
2. Fill the Gashes on the Trim
- Apply the drywall joint compound with the putty knife to fill in any gashes. Wait for it to dry, then sand smooth.
- You can use an epoxy wood filler to repair the gouges as well, just be sure it matches the colour of the trim on the door. Sand smooth.
3. Prime and Paint the Wooden Door Trim
- With your wood primer and paint you can paint over the repaired wooden door frame and have it looking like new in no time!
With these simple steps on how to fix door trim chewed by a dog it will be hard to stay mad at your furry friend for long. A good tip is to spray the repaired wooden door trim with vinegar once the paint has dried as it will be less appealing for pets to chew on. Because you can never predict what your dog, or any other furry additions to the family, will do keeping these handy steps close-by could be very helpful in the future. If you would like Home Painters Toronto to help you out, give them a call TODAY! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.