Exterior season is soon approaching, and if you own a home with wood siding and want a new paint job, congrats, you have come to the right place. Wood sidings maybe a retro exterior to many; however, you are the anomaly. There are countless home-owners scattered throughout Toronto and the GTA that yearns to learn how to paint wood siding, the cost, and additional factors and timing. Use this as a guide before you begin the process to paint wood siding.
Cost to Paint Wood Siding
Price Ranges for Wood Siding
With these exteriors being uncommon for home-owners today, the pricing to paint wood siding is quite robust. It is all dependent on the size of your home, so let’s break it down into three categories.
- 1. Bungalows ( 800-1200 square foot homes) start from $2000 to $5000 range. The most significant factor for price fluctuation in this scenario is the amount of prep.
- 2. Two-story houses (1500-2000 square foot homes) to paint wood sidings should start at $3000 and go up to the $7000 mark.
- 3. Three-story houses (2500-3000+ square foot homes) these large homes start at $5000 and make their way to a steep $15,000 price.
- 4. The price range should add up to a low of $5,000 to a high of $15,000
Now, these ranges can be intimating at first glance. But it is important to remember that more prep means more labour. Wood sidings are not what the average home has nowadays. Painters doing this job will need to be extra careful and cautious when performing this task to get their client’s best results.
How much does it cost to paint wood siding?
Process to Paint Wood Siding
Before the actual job of painting wood siding begins, there is a lot of needed prep. Talk to your hired service about what they are and not doing after reading this list. You would be surprised with newer companies who lack experience; they may skip these steps you are about to learn.
- •Scraping down the wood siding
- •Sanding the wood siding
- •Priming the wood siding
- •Washing is a must if there is algae, mildew, or any griminess. In worst-case scenarios, your wood siding is grimed to its core; TSP has to be used by handwashing to get all the gunk off.
- •Painting two coats
Generally speaking, most companies will use a painter and primer to paint wood siding. Here at Home Painters Toronto, we used a100 by Sherwin-Williams for wood siding. If you prefer Benjamin Moore, go with their aura or regal flat paint line.
Time it Takes to Paint Wood Siding
Exterior season is creeping up on home-owners, and you may wonder to yourself how long it will take to paint wood siding. This question is dependent on several factors when it comes to timing that you must consider. Time is always an essential factor for both the home-owner and the painter. Both want the jobs done as quickly as possible, but sometimes the home-owner has rose-coloured glasses with this abstract concept of time. The painter will generally provide a time span for any job they are about to start, so it is beneficial for the home-owner and painter to stick within this frame.
- •For an average 1200-2000 square foot home, it should take at minimum two days to as long as a week to paint wood siding.
- •Larger homes with 2500-3000+ square feet will start at a minimum of one week and can prolong to as long as two weeks.
Both these time ranges are weather permitting. Mother nature doesn’t seem to care about our exterior design dreams. Harsher conditions such as rain and snow will not allow the painter to do their job safely and efficiently. Summertime and Spring are the ideal times to paint wood siding, but humidity will also slow down a crew.
Factors that Effect the Cost
Now that you have the ballpark numbers for the cost to paint wood siding, it is paramount for you, the home-owner, to understand the factors that can drive the price higher. If you were happy with the numbers and now are shocked that the prices may change due to external factors, well, I am sorry to burst your bubble. Painters are humans, after all, and get paid for the amount of work they do as a base. Become familiar with these factors to avoid disappointing surprises in cost.
- •The amount of prep is the most significant factor. If there is a lot of peeling, scraping, sanding and caulking, it will be more work for the painter. Which unfortunately means more money for the home-owner.
- •Time of year also plays a part in determining the cost. The blistering heat of the summer will slow down crews.
- •Urgency of the job; if you need the job done quicker than average, most paint companies will charge a condensed task premium.
- •Painting less will cost more. I know this sounds like a contradiction, but paint companies charge per unit. If you only want to paint one section of wood siding, the setup fee will cost more than paint the whole exterior.
- •The difficulty of the job factors into the pricing equation. If the wood siding is very high and requires cherry pickers, special ladders or additional tools, expect a steeper price.
- Type of payment, try to pay with cash, cheque or etransfer. Credit cards will charge extra due to administrative fees.
Pro tip: the exterior season for painters in Toronto and the GTA starts in April and ends in September. Try to aim to paint wood siding in these months. Home Painters Toronto does not charge extra for credit card payments, as most companies with longevity and success will do the same.
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, our painters take their jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.