How to do Paint Touch Ups and Small Wall Repairs
Let’s face it – eventually, parts of your walls are going to get chipped, scratched, dented, or otherwise damaged in some way or another. Great skill is to know how to repair these on your own, as it will save you both time and money. We have compiled a list of steps for you to follow in order to repair and touch up any damages on your walls.
STEP 1: Prepare the Wall before Touching up
For touching-up, if it’s just the paint on your wall that needs touching up, you can skip this step.
However, if your wall has been dented, or worse, a hole has been put into it, follow these steps:
Repair DENTS before Touching Up
- • Buy some Mighty Putty to fill the dentin (you can use any type of putty you want).
- • Using putty, fill the dent.
- • Using a steel straightedge, smooth the area of the wall.
- • Wait for it to dry, and sand the affected area.
Repair the HOLES
- • Clean up the edges of the hole with an X-Acto knife.
- • Clean around the hole with TSP or at the very least, give it good scoff sand with some fine sandpaper.
- • Apply a patch of plasterboard over the hole, using a straightedge to get rid of bubbles.
- • Using a wide-blade putty knife, spread a thin layer of joint compound AROUND the hole.
- • Apply a liberal amount of non-shrink joint compound OVER the hole.
- • Wait for the putty to dry, and LIGHTLY sand the area.
STEP 2: Painting Over the Damaged Area
So you’ve repaired the hole in the wall, now it’s time to paint over it. For this, you’re going to need to find paint that EXACTLY matches the paint on your wall. Luckily for you, we’ve already done a tutorial on Wall Paint Colour.
- Before painting over the damaged area, clean the wall with warm water and soap.
- Using a paintbrush (see our paint touch-up tutorial), take a small amount of paint and lightly paint over the area.
- Allow some time to dry, and add more coats as needed.
If you reside in Toronto and the GTA and need some help figuring out How to do Paint Touch Ups and Small Wall Repairs, don’t hesitate to call us! We will help you pick the colours you want and show you the latest painting and home renovation trends. Our home painting services with the best pro painters have been around now for over 30 years. Call 416.494.9095 or email [email protected] for a FREE quote for your home painting needs. And don’t forget to check us out on our social media channels below!
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.