How to do Paint Touch Ups and Small Wall Repairs
Is it Possible to Successfully Touch Up Paint on a Wall?
Let’s face it – eventually, parts of your walls are going to get chipped, scratched, dented, or otherwise damaged in some way or another. A great skill is to know how to repair these on your own, as it will save you both time and money. We have compiled a list of steps for you to follow in order to repair and touch up any damages on your walls.
STEP 1: Prepare the Wall before Touching up
For touching-up, if it’s just the paint on your wall that needs touching up, you can skip this step.
However, if your wall has been dented, or worse, a hole has been put into it, follow these steps:
Repair DENTS before Touching Up :
- Buy some Mighty Putty to fill the dent in (you can use any type of putty you want).
- Using the putty, fill the dent.
- Using a steel straightedge, smooth the area of the wall.
- Wait for it to dry, and sand the affected area.
Repair the HOLES :
- Clean up the edges of the hole with an X-Acto knife.
- Clean around the hole with TSP or at the very least, give it a good scoff sand with some fine sandpaper.
- Apply a patch of plasterboard over the hole, using a straightedge to get rid of bubbles.
- Using a wide-blade putty knife, spread a thin layer of joint compound AROUND the hole.
- Apply a liberal amount of non-shrink joint compound OVER the hole.
- Wait for the putty to dry, and LIGHTLY sand the area.
STEP 2: Painting Over the Damaged Area
So you’ve repaired the hole in the wall, now it’s time to paint over it. For this, you’re going to need to find paint that EXACTLY matches the paint on your wall. Luckily for you, we’ve already done a tutorial on that here.
- Before painting over the damaged area, clean the wall with warm water and soap.
- Using a paint brush (see our paint touch up tutorial), take a small amount of paint and lightly paint over the area.
- Allow some time to dry, and add more coats as needed.
See? Wasn’t that a lot easier than it seemed? Using this useful little skill, you’ll be able to save both time and money by repairing your walls on your own.
Of course, you may not have the time to do it yourself. If that’s the case, why not give us a call?
Home Painters Toronto with over 25 years of experience in home renovations, call us NOW at 416.494.9095, or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com to get a FREE estimate for your house renovation or touch up project.