What color should I pick when it comes to my nursery painting? We hear this question a lot from new parents in Toronto who come to us for their home painting and a new baby’s room. We have lots of great ideas for painting baby nursery to help you get started! First hand, I can say that my newborn daughter Paige made me ponder this issue which makes me very passionate for fellow parents with little ones.
The common questions I’m asked is regularly are how much colour should I put in my nursery? Will it be too bright? Will the color be stimulating enough, or too stimulating for a baby room? What about painting a nursery mural and Artwork for Nursery? Looking for baby room painting ideas for boys or girls? Choosing the right colour for painting a baby’s nursery takes planning. It is one of the most emotional interior painting decisions that people make for their Toronto homes and we love to help people with painting ideas for nurseries.
Many parents think that the new baby’s gender is the deciding factor for baby room designs, but there are other points to consider when picking colors to paint a nursery.
Newborns can’t distinguish colors easily, but as the baby grows older, color will be an important part of their world. You have to choose colours for a nursery room based not only on your own personality, but what is best for you and your baby. For example, it’s good to pick soothing colours. This helps the baby sleep.
Here are some trendy baby room painting ideas for you to consider to pick the best colour for you and your baby room:
The obvious kid’s room colors to choose
- While traditionally baby’s rooms were painted blue for boys and pink for girls, Home Painters Toronto always keeps up with current interior painting trends. Gender-neutral paint colors for nurseries are becoming the most popular choice.
- Go for greens, yellows, creams, and light purples if you’re not sure.
- But don‘t be afraid to use pink in a boy’s room or blue in a girl’s room. Who knows which they will like better?
Atmosphere of the baby room
- What type of atmosphere do you have in your house over all?
- What type of atmosphere do you want for baby room? Plan your colour choice for the nursery accordingly. We have some hints below that may help.
- Is the neighbourhood busy? Is your baby room private from the rest of the house?
- The nursery might be located in an area that doesn’t get enough sunlight. Pick a yellow colour to give the child room a little brightness.
Make the nursery painting color complementary to the rest of your interior painting
- Take note of the other colours in the hallway and rooms that are close to the the nursery. Try to pick complementary colours for painting a nursery.
- For example, all the surrounding rooms might be all white. Leave the nursery white but paint the trim using accent colours.
- For a decor with deep hues and accent pastels, try using the pastel colours for nursery painting.
Furniture and baby room decorations
- Consider any furniture you are using or buying for the nursery, or any decorations you want to use. Maybe the quilt from Granny Deb will be hung up or tossed on a chair. You want to make sure it isn’t going to clash with the wall underneath it.
- If the furniture is of a bright colour, pick a more delicate colour for the baby room walls. This prevents the kids room from looking too crowded.
- If the nursery has white furniture, select bright colors for the walls. Then the room won’t look so pale or washed out.
Think about themes for a nursery
- Most parents decorate their nursery around a particular storybook or character. You might want to pick a baby nursery theme around a character from children’s literature or film.
- For example, a lot of people pick Winnie the Pooh for their baby room. Select colours that go show Pooh’s bright yellow or Piglet’s soft pink.
- Nature is a great choice: flowers, stars, moons, and bugs are all common baby room themes.
- Animals are visually interesting and fun for kids. From the jungle, zoo, or circus, who doesn’t want to talk about the elephant in the room?
And finally, some Home Painters Toronto hints for picking nursery paint colors:
- Pastel purples, like lavenders and lilacs, are more calming for painting nurseries.
- Green is a peaceful colour for baby’s rooms. It is good for homes in busy and packed neighborhoods in Toronto and the GTA.
- Girls are supposed to love the colour pink, but pink is also very calming, especially with kids that often throw fits or tantrums.
- Use gray carefully in a nursery. It promotes thought and emotion, but also sadness and loneliness. Pair it with brighter colours.
- Use black with caution. Be sure to use it in a room with big windows and a lot of natural lighting.
Call Home Painters Toronto for more tips and advice on how to pick a paint colour for your nursery. With over 25 years of experience in Toronto home makeovers, we can take care of the whole painting process for you – if you’re a new parent, we know that you have more things to worry about right now than nursery painting! We use low- and zero-VOC paints and they are safe paint for nursery so all our youngest clients and their parents don’t have to worry.
Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com to get a FREE quote for your Nursery Painting and Painting your baby’s room.