Are you hearing the sounds of little feet pattering above your head when you’re watching TV? Or what about when you crawl into bed at night? Are you concerned there may be something alive and living in the space above your headboard? If you thought “Yes” to any of these questions then you may have pests living in your attic. Read on to find out how to stop pests from living in your attic.
1. Get Rid Of Any Live Animals In Your Attic
- Go inside your attic and search for
anything that may be evidence of animals having set up camp there. Mouse droppings, torn up items, chewed wires, nests and visible movements are all good signs you have something living in your attic.
- Hire a professional pest control company and have them remove the rodent(s) safely.
- You can also try to trap them yourself using a live trap and release them into woods that are not close to any residential areas.
2. Have A Good Look Outside Of Your House
- Lots of rodents can squeeze into very small holes that you may not think to pay attention to.
- Search the entire exterior of the house by taking a walk around and checking for any holes or small cracks that look like they are close to the roof and siding.
- Check your roof. Use a ladder and inspect loose shingles that look like they may have been torn open. While you are up there, check your chimney as well and be sure it is sealed and there are no holes where animals could get in.
- Check the soffit vents, which are by the roof that overhangs on the side of your house. You want to ensure the soffit vents have covers.
3. Repair Holes Where Animals Are Getting In
- You might need to get vent covers
if your soffit vents have been broken into or if you don’t have one at all.
- You can use hardware cloth and cut it to fit the hole you want to patch on your roof. Using a staple gun, staple the cloth over the hole and hammer in additional nails for security.
- On your attic vents it may be possible to install steel screens over them. This will act as a jail wall and make sure nothing can get through.
- If you have found a spot where you think animals could be getting into your attic you will need to patch it up immediately to prevent more pests from entering.
4. Prevent Pests From Being Attracted To Your Home
- If you have fruit or nut trees on
your property you should try to regularly clean up whatever falls on the ground.
- Sometimes bird feeders attract squirrels, either buy special bird feeders that they can’t get into or don’t use them at all if you are having problems with squirrels getting into your attic.
- Always use covered trash bins. Keep recycling and garbage bins firmly sealed and in an enclosed area so pests cannot get into your disposables.
The above are some tips on how to prevent pests from entering your attic. Now that you have learned a little about attic pest removal and discovered how to prevent further infestation you should have a pest-free attic and home! For further assistance with this, give HPT a call! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or send an email to Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com!