Exterior Caulking – Windows and Doors
Toronto weather can be harsh. The GTA regularly sees cold weather, floods,storms, even tornados and earthquakes. This is why exterior window and trim caulking is one of the most important items to consider when painting or repairing the interior or exterior of your home.
Think about this when you’re considering an outdoor renovation:
Keep Water and Weather Out
- Caulking seals up any gaps or cracks between the wall and your windows or doors. Small cracks can appear from weather or even just the house settling.
- Many Toronto homes are older and need preventative maintenance. These cracks might start small, but they can cause big problems.
- Sealing your windows and doors prevents water from penetrating into the walls or the inside of the house.
- Proper caulking prevents moisture build-up and mold.
Keep Your Money In
- Repairing water damage from storms and floods is one of our most common calls here at Home Painters Toronto. Professionally caulked and sealed windows and doors can prevents or reduce the impact of leaks, saving you money on costly repairs.
- Caulking can also help lower your heating and cooling costs. You don’t want your air conditioner working overtime in the summer if properly caulking your windows can keep that cool air inside where it belongs.
- Caulk can protect your overall investment and extend the life of your home.
- You always want your home looking great. Peeling or flaking caulking looks like a problem waiting to happen. Punch up your curb appeal and your home’s external appearance by repairing and replacing your existing caulking
Where can we use caulking?
Caulking is most commonly applied around windows and door, but it can also be used to finish and seal other parts of the exterior of your home:
- concrete slabs
- roof flashing
- aluminum siding and trim
- vinyl siding and trim
- and anywhere else you’re worried about weather!
So how do we caulk?
There are several types of caulking on the market, and we recommend only using the best. Mono, Dymeric, Dap, and Dow Corning are all quality caulking brands that we use, depending on the circumstance and budget. There are several different levels of caulking. What we recommend always depends on your needs and budget. We want our customers to get the right advice for their situation.
Here are the two most popular means of applying exterior caulking:
- We completely remove the existing caulking, insulate, and then re-caulk the entire window or door.
- This means scraping and chiselling out all the existing caulking, then filling the gap with foam insulation. To finish, we run a new bead of high quality industrial caulking across the gap to seal the entire area.
- This is more expensive, but at the same time is the most thorough method of external caulking.
- Simply fill in all the existing gaps with new high-quality Dap or Mono caulking.
- We clear away the loose debris before we start, but if the caulking is old, weak, and brittle it is always better to remove it before applying new caulk.
- This is the less expensive option, and we always recommend going with Option 1 because it provides a better seal. However, if you’re worried about your budget, sometimes this method works just as well.
Give us a call today at (416) 494-9095 OR email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com and we will be happy to discuss with you your caulking needs. We can give you a FREE quote for your project now!