Homeowners Top Complaints – Did you know that in 2010, tradespeople ranked #2 on the complaints list according to the Ministry of Consumer Reports? This is a huge problem for homeowners because it means that many of the people they hire to do work in their homes are not doing a good job.
With all the variables involved with painting your home in Toronto, it’s no wonder that consumer complaints about Toronto painting contractors are so high. Bad house painters can cost you more than just a few dollars. They can cause damage to your home, which could lead to expensive repairs. You’ll want to be on the lookout for these common homeowner complaints so you can avoid having them happen to you!
Most Common Problems Homeowners Face When Dealing with Bad Toronto Painters:
- Cost overruns – Toronto painting company charging more than quoted after the painting job is started
- Damage to the home and landscaping
- Never knew when the painting contractor was going to show up on the job
- Did not pay subcontractors or suppliers
- Untrustworthy and unreliable
- Phone calls and emails were never returned in a timely manner
There Are A Few Tell-tale Signs That Should Always Raise A Red Flag When Negotiating with A House Painting Contractor and How To Avoid A Shady Painter in Toronto:
- They quote prices before seeing the job
- Demand unusually large deposits to “buy materials”
- Will not supply you with a detailed written contract
Now that you know the red flags of a shady painting contractor, it’s time to find the right painter for your project.
How can you tell a good painter?
Here are some signs of a good painter that is doing a good job:
- Professional, experienced and licensed.
- Good reputation with customers.
- Provide detailed estimates.
- Communicate well and on time.
- Do not cut corners or do shoddy work
However, at the end of the day, it’s up to you to protect yourself. Here are some steps to follow that will protect your investment and help you find a professional painter in Toronto or the GTA.
- Check the Toronto painting company’s reputation online. Make sure they are rated highly on reputable sites like HomeStars and the Better Business Bureau.
- Get a contract in writing stating exactly what will be done and the cost.
- Ask for references and pictures of past work (Before and After photos).
- Criminal Background Checks: 1 in 10 contractors and Toronto painters have a criminal record. Either check them yourself or make sure the company you hire screens its own employees.
- Verify how long they’ve been in business. Did you know that 95% of house painting contractors in Toronto disappear within five years? So one with a long track record is a good sign of their reputation.
- Ensure they have licensed house painters, bonded and insured. A reputable painter will have no problem satisfying you with all three. Don’t even deal with a Toronto contractor that can’t provide you with all 3 certificates. The risk isn’t worth it.
Remember, if Your Contractor Isn’t Properly Insured and Covered by WSIB (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board), any Liability and Injuries Could Fall on Your Responsibility
This May Seem Like A Lot to Do Before Hiring A House Painting Toronto Company and the Reality is: It Is!
With Home Painters Toronto we don’t want you to worry and that’s why earning your trust is our #1 priority
Home Painters Toronto is both an A+ Rated company with the Better Business Bureau and Top-Rated on HomeStars
To protect homeowners, we carry full WSIB coverage in case of job site injuries; and $5 million in General Liability Insurance in case of property damages.
Also, all our staff and house painting team must pass an extensive criminal background check before working with Home Painters Toronto. This ensures you peace of mind that you can trust who is in your house at all times.
We have a 36-year track record working in the painting industry AND we GUARANTEE your 100% satisfaction.
And after we leave, all our work is covered by an unmatched Two Year Guarantee of Quality.