Of course! ….Well, kind of. Sometimes a concrete floor in the garage or on the patio can turn into an eyesore. Maybe the drab natural grey colour makes your basement or pool feel cold and boring. Maybe the slab has started to crack and crumble. Whatever your reason, concrete painting is a great way to liven up space or create a more polished visual appeal. However, the challenge with this kind of project is the preparation. Painting concrete floors require very thorough planning and groundwork to ensure the best outcome. So, if you live a Do-It-Yourself lifestyle – keep reading – because we got you covered! But if you would prefer some extra hands, you can always call us. At Home Painters Toronto, we got you covered with that too!
Can I Just Paint My Concrete Floor?
Indoor Vs. Outdoor
Because concrete is so durable and adaptable, it is a great material for indoor and outdoor use. Interior concrete can be bombarded with driving vehicles, foot traffic, dragging furniture and splashes of liquid. Exterior concrete often needs to withstand very high or low temperatures, big rain or snow storms and usage by insects and animals along with humans.
So whether you are doing concrete driveway painting, concrete patio painting, basement floor concrete painting or pool concrete painting, using something like epoxy will help protect the surface. Because epoxy will act as an adhesive, it hardens and becomes simple to take care of for interior concrete painting or exterior concrete painting projects. The difference is in the resin. Indoor paint resin leans toward unyielding, whereas the resin used in outdoor paint is often more flexible.
Common Materials and Tools
- Stiff Bristle Broom
- Concrete Filler
- Painters Tape
- Paint Brush
- Paint Roller
- Etching Solution
- Protective Eyewear, Mask, and Gloves
- Concrete Primer
- Pressure Washer or Sprayer
- Concrete Indoor/Outdoor Paint
- Concrete Sealer
Depending on the size of the job, the average time for preparation and cleaning can take one to two days. The average time for priming and painting might be a full day and the average time to wait after sealing is one to two days. In total – with wait-times – painting a concrete floor may take up to four or five days, depending on how large the area is and what products are used. For outdoor projects, the weather and temperature can also delay total time required.
Concrete Painting Preparation, Steps and Procedure
1. Before beginning the concrete painting procedure, remove any furniture, carpet or materials from around the concrete floor or room you would like to work in
2. Scrape anything stuck onto the surface, any bits of cement, adhesive or glue and vacuum the area thoroughly
3. Fill in any cracks, holes, and low spots, making sure to scrape off the excess so it is flat. Leave the concrete floor as smooth and clean as possible
4. For this stage you can power wash, etch or grind concrete (wearing protective gear) and rinse, to ensure that any old paint, grease or particles are removed. If the floor is extra smooth, etching or grinding will also ensure the surface is a little rough so that paint can adhere well to the floor. Make sure to leave a day or two for drying. If in doubt, you can perform a moisture test before moving onto the next steps.
5. Tape off area carefully for painting, ensuring that the edges of anything you don’t want painting are protected.
6. With a clean brush and roller, apply concrete primer before painting and let it dry. Though the primer may dry-to-touch in a couple hours, leave about eight hours before painting. For some projects – particularly if there will be no heavier traffic – you can use paint with a built-in primer. If you wish to wait longer, make sure to paint within a month’s time.
7. Use a clean brush to paint along the tape edges
8. Fill in the rest of the concrete with a clean roller. You can wait about two hours before the second coat for most water-based paints, but in any case, make sure to follow the dry times on the particular products you have chosen
9. You can seal painted in a matt or glossy finish. If you decide to use sealant, make sure to increase ventilation, especially for an indoor project, and always wear protective gear
10. Leave one to two days for drying before increasing traffic on the finished concrete floor
Maintenance and Additions
Depending on the room or area with your finished concrete surface, you can add a stencil pattern eventually or a nice rug. A painted concrete, can continue to inspire your sense of décor or be intended for functionality. For best maintenance you can reseal every few years. Subject to how heavy the traffic or weather conditions are, painted concrete can last for 02 to 15 years.
DIY? Or search “Concrete painting companies near me?” Whether you need new concrete painting, you have questions about concrete painting cost or you’re wondering ‘Is it better to paint or stain concrete?’ we can help you and provide any concrete painting services you can think of. At Home Painters Toronto, we make sure your concrete floor turns out the way you envision it. With our advanced techniques and state-of-the-art tools, products and procedures, you can skip the hassle and leave the project to us, so it’s finished on time, on budget, and to your satisfaction.
Top Related Blogs to “Can I Just Paint My Concrete Floor?”
If you reside in Toronto and the GTA and need some help figuring out the interior painting costs per square foot, don’t hesitate to call us! We will help you pick the colours you want and show you the latest painting and home renovation trends. Our home painting services with the best pro painters have been around now for over 30 years. Call 416.494.9095 or email [email protected] for a FREE quote for your home painting needs. And don’t forget to check us out on our social media channels below!
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.