How to Safely Remove Lead Paint
A few years ago, the standard paint was lead-based. Eventually, we learned that it is very harmful to humans, and switched the standard. However, if you have an older house, there is a very good chance that your walls could be painted with lead. So we’re going to teach you how to safely remove lead-based paint from your walls.
Lead Paint Removal Requirements
• Head sock
• Paper suit
• Ladder (chair will work)
• Spray Bottle
• Masking Tape
• Cartridge Respirator
• HEPA Dry/Wet Vacuum
• Wet Scrapes
STEP 1: Post Signs
Lead-based paint is extremely dangerous. If you are doing this removal in a public building, make sure you post warning signs to tell the public what you are doing.
STEP 2: Preparing the Room
As with any job, you will need to prepare the room before Lead Paint Removal. To do this, you must:
• Remove all wall decorations (paintings, curtains, etc.)
• Move all furniture as far away from the wall as possible
• Cover absolutely everything with plastic coverings (except for the walls)
• Send everyone else (who isn’t helping in removing lead from home) out of the building
• Put on all of your equipment (mask, suit, respirator, etc.)
STEP 3: Removing of the Paint
Now it’s time to remove the paint. It is very important that you follow all of the previous steps to the letter. Remember: this stuff can kill you! After you have taken all of the necessary safety precautions, you must:
• Using your spray bottle, spray the walls with water
• Starting at the top, strip the wet paint off the walls using your wet scraps
• Have a bucket underneath the work area to catch as much as possible
• Repeat until the room is stripped of paint.
STEP 4: Disposal of the Paint
Alright, you’re almost done. You’ve stripped the paint off the walls, but what do you do with the paint chips?
• Grab your plastic coverings by the corners and fold them into a bag.
• MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY ALL OF YOUR WASTE IN A PLASTIC BAG.
• Find out your city/province Lead paint Removal Laws (Lead Removal Toronto), and do so accordingly.
• Have a shower and wash your hands.
And that’s it! You’ve successfully stripped the paint off of the walls, making your home a little safer in the process.
Of course, if you aren’t up to the task, we can always step in and do the heavy lifting!
With over 30 years of experience in home renovations, a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and as one of the top-rated Lead Paint Removal companies, we will get it done for you. Please call Home Painters Toronto NOW at 416.494.9095, or email us at [email protected] to get a free lead paint removal cost estimate and our men will safely do it for you.
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.