Adding value to your home by finishing and painting the garage is not always the first thing you think of on your laundry list of improvements to your home, but investing in this part of your home is a huge advantage.
How to Clean Walls Before Painting the Garage
This is not necessarily a DIY project you want to take on if you’re inexperienced, but any prep work you can do before your hired professional comes in is always much appreciated.
Cleaning your walls is always a huge part of the preparation before painting because any debris and dirt left on your wall will reduce the quality of your paint job, and the lifespan of it. When you spend the money to make home improvements, you want to make sure you’re doing it right so it’s worth your time and money and you’re not stuck repainting in a year because of the deterioration because you failed to prep.
Here’s a step by step guide to cleaning, repairing and painting your garage attached to your home:
Materials You’ll Need
- Broom or vacuum with a hose
- Cloth tarpaulin
- Drywall compound
- Roller with extension handle
- Roller grid
- Acrylic latex exterior paint
- Putty knife
- Drywall primer
- Edging brush
- Sanding block
- 200-grit sandpaper
- Tack Cloths
- • Clean up your garage. Make sure there’s no dust, debris or cobwebs hanging out in the area you’re looking to paint. Using a shop vac, you can make sure you get all these types of dirt.
- • Cover the entire floor with your cloth tarpaulin. We recommend this because if you’re using a ladder, this is a better type of cloth than a drop cloth, much less slippery and safer.
- • Inspect your walls, filling in any cracks in your drywall with joint compound. Skim it over any cracks and dents, going over with sandpaper to make it smooth and even.
- • You will want to protect yourself during this part of the process, wear eye protection and a face mask, your eyes and lungs will thank you!
- • You can choose to go over your walls entirely, but pay attention to the spots you’ve repaired. You can use the tack cloths to pick up the sanding debris as they are slightly sticky and designed for this purpose.
- • Wipe the walls down with a damp cloth and let them dry completely.
- • Fill your bucket half full with primer, and open your garage door for ventilation.
Prime & Paint
- • Edge the walls with a high-quality paintbrush and use a roller for the majority of the surface area.
- • Let the primer dry completely before painting the garage.
- • We recommend using an exterior paint on the interior of your garage because it’s thicker and more durable. It will protect your garage against mildew and moisture. While the garage isn’t in direct contact with Mother Nature and the elements, it’s still susceptible to their effects and should be treated the same as any exterior painting project. Particularly if your garage isn’t heated.
- • Follow up by painting in the same way you did the primer and let the paint dry between coats.
If you want to hire a professional, start by prepping your space, but leave the wall repair and all the steps after it to us! We’d be happy to take on this job for you! Painting the garage can add massive value to your home, but a professional caliber paint job will look best. We can also help you choose the best paint for your garage and which finish to pick.
Considered One of The Best Residential and Commercial Painting Contractors in Toronto, Home Painters Toronto has been servicing the GTA Since 1991.
We’re more than just a painting company, and we have professionals on board that can help with all your home improvement needs.
If you have an unfinished garage, and you’d like some advice on if you should finish it or what would be your best course of action, give us a call, and we’d be happy to come by and do an in-home consultation.For over a quarter century, Home Painters Toronto has serviced thousands of satisfied clients. We’ve been able to do so because your project is our passion!
A fixture in our community, Home Painters honors all of our commitments. If you have any questions or would like to set up a Free Consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 416.494.9095, or email [email protected], and get a FREE quote and we can help with painting the garage – we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.