How to Paint Baseboards without Painting Your Carpets
You have a nice, carpeted floor in your room. And, you want to spice up the room with a brand new paint job. However, you are paranoid about getting paint on your newly laid carpet. It can be tricky to paint baseboards (or Paint Doors and Trim) next to carpet and not get paint on it, in particular the baseboard trim.
Here’s how to paint baseboards and protect the carpet, by a Professional Toronto Painter:
STEP 1: Dropsheeting the Carpeted floor
As with any House Interior Painting job, you want to use a drop-sheet to protect the main areas of the carpet, before painting baseboards around the carpet:
- Always before Interior Painting, take a cloth drop sheet and spread it out over the section of the room that you are painting first. Leave about an inch or 2 away from the baseboard trim so you can use your wall edger/spatula to slip in underneath the baseboard.
- For details, see our blog/video on how to set up your room before interior painting in Toronto
STEP 2: Tuck your Painters Tape Underneath the Baseboard
Once you have laid down your dropsheets, now you are ready to start using the stir stick/edger underneath the carpet.
- Get your painters tape and try to tuck it underneath the baseboard trim.
- If this doesn’t work, another way to do this is get a strong putty knife or better, use a 5 in1 multi purpose paint tool. Apply the painters tape onto the carpet and right up against the baseboard, but leave about half an inch or so extra to tuck it in underneath the baseboard. Once you have done this, using your 5 and 1 tool, press down firmly on the tape/rug, and carefully tuck the painters tape underneath the baseboard.
- Make sure when doing this you do not damage the baseboard or gouge it when trying to work it underneath the baseboard
STEP 3: Paint the Baseboard, Protect the Carpet
All right! The carpet has been dropsheeted, your painters tape is underneath the baseboard bottom protecting your carpet, and your baseboard is now ready to be painted!
- Dip your paintbrush into your paint and wipe all excess paint off. It is very important that the paint brush doesn’t drip and that there isn’t too much paint on it. Better too little than too much.
- Against the middle of the baseboard its ok to have excessive paint, but against the bottom its crucial to only have a bit of paint on it so it doesn’t build up and bleed onto the rug
- Using small strokes, run the paintbrush along the bottom of the baseboard trim while checking periodically to make sure that there is no excess or drippage. See our Interior Wall Painting Techniques with paintbrush tutorial and video for details .
- Hold a cloth in your other hand so that you can immediately fix any mistakes that you may make along the way when you want to paint baseboard trim next to the carpet.
- Do your baseboard in sections. Apply two more coats or as needed.
And you’re done! You’ve successfully painted your baseboards over the carpet and your room is looking better than ever.
What Color to Paint Baseboards? Assuming you are using a latex paint, once you have finished painting the baseboard, it is very important you wait about 15-20 min and for the paint to dry a bit before removing it. If you don’t, if the carpet is really tight against the baseboard it can potentially push back up against the baseboard getting paint on it.
As always, if you would like to take a load off, you can call Home Painters Toronto to do the job for you!
At Home Painters Toronto we are one of the top rated interior painters in Toronto and the GTA. The reason why we are rated so high is because of our commitment to quality, giving the client full value for home improvement dollars, and our dedication to being the friendliest, courteous and professional painters in the GTA.
Our Home painters Professionals complete Toronto painting projects everywhere in the GTA; , Lawrence Park, Riverdale, The Beaches, Rosedale, The Annex, Bloor West Village, The Kingsway, Forest Hill, Little Italy, Roncesvalles, The Junction, Leaside, East York, North York and everywhere in between! Whatever Toronto painting project you need for your home or business, our Toronto painting contractors can complete it for you.
Are you still not sure, just go visit our HomeStars.com review page on GTA Interior Painting Contractors Section and see first-hand what our clients have to say about us.
Call us now at 416 494 9095 OR email us at [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you in any way possible!