The High Price of Using Cheap Paints
Disadvantages of Using Cheap Paints – Did you know that choosing cheap paints over high quality paints will lead to more time, more labour, dull colours and a shorter wall life?
In Toronto and the GTA, there are so many paint brands, and lines to use. Whether you’re planning to do your own house painting or hiring someone as your painting contractor, it is critical to educate yourself on the difference between low cheap paint and high quality paint. Doing so will save you time, money and spare you from the disappointment of an inferior paint job.
The biggest differences between low quality and high quality paints:
- High quality paints have better pigments. The most expensive pigment in paint is titanium dioxide, a very pure white powder. A quality pigment is small and more pure so it hides what’s underneath better. Cheap paints use pigments like clay and silica which are much larger meaning you need more coats to hide old paint and imperfections.
- Premium paints have better resins (also known as binders). This is what makes it stick better, more durable and longer lasting. They are also smaller which allows it to penetrate deeper which is especially important with wood surfaces.
- Resins are the most expensive component in any paint and why cheap paints will skimp here. Resins are the binding agents in paint that creates a strong film which helps the pigments hold to surfaces. Cheap resins are larger and don’t penetrate surfaces as well reducing its overall lifespan.
- High quality paints have fewer solvents per gallon versus cheap paints. Fewer solvents (less water) means a thicker paint when dry which can dramatically affect the look.
- Cheaper paints with low quality resins, pigments and more solvents means you’ll also need to do at least two coats. That means more time and more labour. Keep in mind that if you hire a professional painter that quotes you a very “low painting price” you can almost guarantee it comes with cheap paint.
- Some expensive high quality paints have primers mixed in which saves you one whole step. Other can have additives that minimize mildew and thickeners for a more thick and even coat.
Save money by Using high quality paints !
Remember that even brand names produce both low and high quality paints, so shopping by the logo or high quality paint brands is not a fool-proof way of avoiding cheap paints.
Going by price is also not a clear-cut strategy in singling out low quality paints. Paint companies employ teams of chemists to create their products. Even if paints had all their ingredients listed on the cans like food, it would still be a challenge to separate the good from the bad.
At Home Painters Toronto we understand the value of High standard paints. We use only trusted brands including Behr, Benjamin Moore, Dulux, Sherwin Williams, Para and more. Our 25 years of experience will help you pick the right paint for the right job.
So call 416.494.9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com to schedule a no obligation, FREE in-home consultation and give your home the quality finish it deserves by top of the line high quality paints.