How To Do Basement Drywall Installation On A Ceiling
When trying to complete and finish a Toronto house basement, the ceiling usually proves to be the most difficult. Installing basement drywall ceiling is the most cost effective methods to cover the floor joists and beams, and finishing your basement ceiling properly.
The basement drywall installation process requires precise measurements and enough strength to undertake. This is usually caused by the weight of the drywall and the installation of the drywall ceiling since people tend to have trouble lifting it over their head. Basement drywall installation, especially on the ceiling, is possible though! And Home Painters Toronto is here to show you how to do it.
Step 1: Measure the area
- Before you start the process, make sure you correctly measure the basement’s dimensions.
- Decide on the amount of full drywall sheets you will be able to hang first.
- Find out how many pieces you will have to cut in order to fit it around the existing or soon to be new light and ceiling fixtures.
Step 2: Hang the full sheets of drywall to the basement ceiling first
- Begin in a corner and find the best way to face the length of the full sheet.
- Mark the position of the joists on the sheet.
- Hold the full sheet of drywall above your head and fit into position. Get a partner if it proves too heavy for you!
- Try to have someone help you hold the drywall up tho the basement ceiling, while you install it. You can also rent or buy a ‘drywall panel hoists’ to help you with this. Worse case, if that’s not possible, just keep the drywall sheet in place to the basement ceiling with one hand, and the drill in the other.
- Drill into the joist. Move to an opposite corner and drill in another screw.
- When you have 3 or 4 screws drilled, bring your hand down and drill in the other screws.
Step 3: Make the drywall cuts
- Some parts of the ceiling in basement might need small pieces of drywall or sheet rock. Measure the dimensions and mark them for basement drywall installation.
- For square or rectangular pieces of drywall, use a tape measure for a straight edge. This helps to point out the line.
- If angled cuts are needed, mark the end points and use a straight edge to draw the line.
Step 4: Hang cut pieces
- Hang the smaller cut pieces of drywall to the basement ceiling first.
- Then, using the same method, hang the larger and full sheets of drywall.
- Their weight allows 1 or 2 screws before bringing down your arm to fix in the rest of the screws.
Step 5: Make cuts for fixtures
- There could be light fixtures and other obstacles. Make cuts for them as well.
- Measure the location of the fixture. Mark it on the piece that is getting cut.
Step 6: Mud and Tape
- When the ceiling drywall has been hung, check that there are enough screws supporting each piece.
- Cover all seams with drywall tape and mud.
- Cover each screw and the indents left with mud.
- The finished product should be smooth and ready for primer.
Once you have completed the ceiling basement drywall installation process, you are ready for painting the drywall ceiling.
You can do basement drywall installation and painting on a basement ceiling in the span of a weekend or more depending on the size of the basement. If you have the right tools, it shouldn’t be too difficult or confusing. However, as mentioned, holding the sheets of drywall above your head may be the awkward part!
More interesting blogs related to “How To Do Basement Drywall Installation On A Ceiling”:
- Top 5 reasons for peeling paint on drywall
- The 10 Most Common Causes of Damage to Drywall
- Common Drywall Installation Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How To Fix Damaged Drywall From Wallpaper Removal
At Home Painters Toronto we offer basement ceiling drywall installation as one of our many product lines. So, if you feel like the job is too daunting for you, please give us a call at (416) 494-9095 or send an email to Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com to get a Free quote about the cost for basement drywall installation!
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.