Tips for Painting Your Wooden Exterior Trim
If you are painting the wooden exterior trim of your Toronto home, you are most likely in the last stages of painting your house. It is usually a slow process that takes a bit of time, even if you apply the same color that you used on the siding.
The trim is any part of the exterior of your house that is not the same color as the siding. For example, the moldings around windows (outside window trim), doors and corners. Your exterior wooden trims should be painted after the siding is completed. Here are some guidelines for how to paint exterior trim:
What you will need:
- Paint scraper
- Exterior wood filler
- Acrylic latex caulk
- Caulking gun
Step 1: Paint Station Preparation
- Set up a ladder so that you can access the trims safely.
- Take proper precautions if you are using an extension ladder. Set the feet of the ladder flat on the ground. Try to angle it at about 70 degrees.
- Wrap a pair of rags around the top end of the ladder rails so that they don’t ruin the paint on the siding.
Step 2: Exterior Trim Preparation
- Scrape off peeling paint from the trim using a paint scraper.
- Fill the holes with exterior wood filler. Lightly sand it when it is dried.
- Caulk the seams between the trim and the siding.
Step 3: Prime
- Apply a coat of primer on the wood. This seals the wood and provides a better surface for the finish coat than bare wood.
- Pour half a can of primer into an empty paint can.
- Stand on the ladder in a way that you can comfortably reach the trim. Hang the paint can over the ladder hook and make sure it is sturdy.
Step 4: Paint
- Allow the primer to dry for about 2 hours.
- Paint the trim with the top coat.
- Because you prepared the surface with primer, you will probably only need one coat to fully cover the trims.
- For best results, use a high quality bristle paintbrush with an angled edge. This helps you get to the hard to reach corners and edges.
If you feel that this might be too difficult or dangerous for you to undertake, please call us now at 416 494 9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com and we will be happy to assist you in any way possible for your exterior trim painting project!