Spray painting is easier than using a roller to paint, right?
Well not always when it comes to using an airless sprayer. It will take a little patience first but once you get the hang of it, you will find that it can be less time consuming than using a paint roller to paint your house exterior because it will fill in cracks easier with one application, especially if you have stucco exterior! So let’s learn how to properly spray paint your house exterior!
Spray Paint Your House With An Airless Paint Sprayer
Materials That You Will Need:
- Cardboard/Old Door
- Drop cloth/Tarp
- Painters Tape
- Outdoor Airless Sprayer , attachments and Spray Paint Equipment
- Exterior Paint
- Safety Goggles/Old clothing to wear/Face Mask
1. Tips/Procedures Before You Start Spray Painting
- Just hook up the paint sprayer andGO! Just kidding. You’ll need to learn how to get used to it first – so try practicing on cardboard or an old door. The idea is to create an even layer of paint and know your spraying distance.
- Don’t paint a house with a spray gun in direct sunlight because it will cause the paint to dry too fast and you’ll have an uneven paint job that will end up taking a lot longer to perfect.
- After you practiced on cardboard or an old door, make sure you clear the area around your house of anything you can trip on, and lay down a drop cloth or tarp. Tape around any windows and trims where necessary as well. Prevent clogs by stirring the paint in the can very slowly and for a good few minutes.
2. The Process of painting with an Airless paint sprayer
Whether you are planning on using an airless paint sprayer for more than one project and you buy one, or if you have decided to rent one (from Home Depot Exterior Paint section or any other heavy duty equipment rental centers )– unless you’re a pro already – read on for the process of your external paint sprayer.
- All airless paint sprayers have a screen on the intake point so clean that if it hasn’t already been cleaned. There should be two removable filters as well, one is located near the pump and the other should be located in the handle. Also clean those two filters before you
begin and strain your paint through a filter/mesh type bag to remove any clogs.
- Turn on the paint sprayer valve to prime your surface. Afterward, switch on the pump and turn the pressure up on the valve until the pump starts. Once paint comes out of the prime tube, you move it into the paint bucket.
- After you prime, you can fill the hose with your exterior paint and begin spraying. Lock the trigger and let go of the pressure before you install the tip guard assembly. Turn off the power, turn the prime valve to prime and angle the spray gun to a waste pail and release pressure by pulling the trigger, then engage the trigger lock – you should have let go of the remaining pressure.
- Now you can turn back the paint spray gun to the spray mode and begin painting the exterior of your house.
3. Airless Paint Sprayer Techniques
- You should try moving the gun as if you are painting before you actually start spraying – and keeping the
spray gun moving in continuous straight strokes. The airless sprayer will shoot the paint out quickly, so doing this first will keep the paint evenly coated and prevent dripping. You can move the outdoor paint sprayer as quickly as you would if you were using a brush.
- Press the trigger while the external paint sprayer gun is off to the side and then move it towards the surface you are painting. Keeping the airless sprayer parallel instead of an angle while really improve the results.
- Usually airless sprayers have a tip guard which works as a safety to protect you from unwanted paint sprays. But you should wipe off the guard periodically while spraying with a rag and not your finger just in case. This will prevent clogs and a build up of paint.
- Sometimes you might need to back brush or back roll to get a more even coat of paint.
- Paint a little at a time with the air gun and then go back and spray more instead of spraying a lot of paint at once – this will prevent drying unevenly and dripping excessively.
- Always wear a mask and safety goggles!
This is a guide on the basics of how to paint your house with a paint sprayer – read the airless paint sprayer instructions for more information for further instructions on how to operate the airless sprayer. But, if you don’t trust yourself using an airless paint sprayer and don’t have enough time for it – call Home Painters Toronto and we’ll gladly do it for you! Call Home Painters Toronto and we’ll do it for you! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or email Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.