Did you know that out of 20,000 residential renovation and painting contractors in Ontario (Toronto predominantly), a whopping 37% do NOT posses a Master Business License or a valid HST Number? This substantial “underground” painting contractor industry in Toronto and the GTA exists because for most people, the biggest factor in a home renovation is price. The lower the price, the better, right? But there’s a reason unlicensed painting contractors can underbid for a job: In the event of a problem, the only one responsible for the damage will be YOU and your assets.
Risks of Hiring an Unlicesnsed Contractor to Paint Your Home
Here are the top problems you’ll face with unlicensed painting contractor:
- Most unlicensed contractors lack formal training. If they haven’t bothered to get a license, why would you believe they actually invested the time for proper education in their craft?
- Ask yourself, ‘why don’t they have a license in the first place?’ They may have been licensed in the past but lost it due to complaints, legal charges, and other issues. In other words they are trying to fly “under the radar” for whatever reason.Would you trust your biggest financial asset with someone who can’t even be clear and above board?
- Unlicensed businesses almost always
sub-contract and hire other unlicensed workers. Why would a reputable contractor risk their business with someone who isn’t licensed? This is also how those low estimates play out – unlicensed help is cheaper.
- No license means they’re likely not paying taxes, don’t have any liability insurance, don’t carry workers compensation coverage, and almost certainly are not bonded with criminal background checks. Without an actual business and employees to protect, there’s no incentive to carry coverage. And guess who’s responsible for any claims, accidents, thefts, vandalism, fraud, or poor workmanship? YOU!!!
- You might think your home insurance coverage will protect you, but think again. Some policies state that if you knowingly hire an unlicensed contractor they can deny coverage.
- Accountability: Sure the job looks good today, but what about in a year or two? It’s very unlikely that you’re going to get a contract or guarantee with an unlicensed contractor. Fact is, they’ll probably be long gone when the time comes. In fact, 95% of painting contractors go out of business within the first 3 to 5 years – even when they do have a licence. The failure rate for unlicensed painters is far worse!
Hire a Professional
Bottom line: You’re taking a huge risk with your home when you hire an unlicensed contractor. Think of it like this: Would you purchase your next laptop computer from Best Buy or a guy selling one from his truck? With a properly licensed business you can verify its reputation, check real past references, and know that in the event of property damage, accident or injury, you will be completely protected. That’s why at Home Painters, earning your trust is our #1 priority. We strive to give you value and peace of mind for your home improvement dollar. At Home Painters we hire only experienced painters that are fully trained to the high standards we bring to every job. We also protect you and your property with $5 million General Liability Insurance (versus the industry average $2 million) and have full WSIB coverage. And even when the job is done, we’re still there for you – all of our work comes with a Two Year Quality Guarantee. Give us a call to set up a FREE consultation and discover why Home Painters has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and why our clients have made us a top-rated company on www.HomeStars.com. Call 416.494.9095 or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com and let our 25 years of experience work for you.
For more useful tips on how to get the most out of your home painting project, please visit our blogs: