How To Paint a Stucco House
When painting an exterior stucco home you need to factor in some house painting ideas for the exterior, what kind of paint to use on exterior stucco and of course how you will begin painting stucco walls. Read on to get the knowledge necessary to create a marvellously painted stucco home!
How to Paint a Stucco House
Materials That You Will Need To Paint a Stucco House:
- Pressure Washer
- Stucco Exterior Repair product
- Exterior Masonry Primer/Stain blocking
- Masonry Paint
- Paint Brush
- Painters Tape
- Roller Bucket
- Soap and Water
- Tarp or Drop Cloth (to lay out before you start painting)
1. What Are Some Good House Painting Ideas for the Exterior Stucco On My House?
- Before you begin painting the exterior stucco on your house, having a good idea of how you want it to look in the end should be your first step.
- Consider the overall quality of the paint you choose; you will want a flexible paint that will be suitable for the temperature changes in your area. You should also choose a dirt and mildew resistant paint that will be minimal effort to maintain afterwards.
- Of course you’ll want a great colour too! The only tip here is that you pick a colour that compliments your surrounding lot and neighbourhood
2. What Kind of Paint Should I Use on Exterior Stucco?
- Use an exterior masonry primer and prime the exterior surface of the stucco. And use Masonry paint for the finished coats. A good method is to use a roller and apply the primer that way. Be sure to start with the edges first and brush along it before you use the roller. You may wish to use painters tape to improve your accuracy and tape along the edges that you do not want to paint. One coat of primer should be enough before you begin – if there are stains on the stucco a stain blocking exterior primer may be best
3. How Will I Begin Painting Exterior Stucco?
- If you are painting over the old exterior stucco on your house you should clean the exterior using a pressure washer first and fill in any cracks with a repair product made for stucco. You’ll need to wait about 10 days time to start painting the exterior stucco on your house after you use a repair product.
- After you have let the primer dry for the adequate amount of time as directed on the can and by using your best judgement – apply masonry paint with the colour you have chosen and apply liberally. You should apply 2 or 3 coats of paint to be sure the paint has gripped inside all dips and cravats throughout.
- If you can find a lamb wool roller, it would be an ideal choice because it will make painting easier due to its splatter –free quality.
- A Masonry type paint brush is also a wise tool to use than the ordinary kind because it is designed for painting rougher surfaces.
Painting old stucco exterior can be a little time consuming and will require plenty of patience for drying and repairs. Cleaning stucco can also be a little tedious before you begin and applying more than a couple coats of paint is definitely a work out on your arms. But don’t let these factors steer you away from completing this project because the rewarding benefits will outstand you!
Stucco is one of the most durable and visually appealing exterior house styles out there!
But don’t feel bad if you simply can’t invest the time for this exterior painting stucco project because HPT will gladly do it for you! Call HPT and we’ll do it for you! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 [email protected]