How To Finish Wood Stairs
In this paragraph, refinishing your wood stairs is an easy way to keep them looking sharp and classy. After that, choosing to refinish your wood stairs is simple, but it takes a little more knowledge to get the job done and done well. Read on to learn more about refinishing your wood stairs and railings because it’s really important for both interiors and exteriors.
Materials That You Will Need to Refinish Stairs:
2. Electric Sander (optional)
5. Safety Mask & Goggles
7. Paintbrushes (2)
8. Water or Oil Based Polyurethane
1. Sand the Wood Stairs
- •Firstly, if present, remove the carpet.
- •Secondly, you should finely sand the wood stairs along the edges, not forgetting to do the top face as well. It helps the stain absorb a lot better.
- •Thirdy, put on a face mask while sanding the staircase to protect your lungs. Wear safety goggles as well.
- •Moreover, sand in the direction of the grain using good quality sandpaper, especially if you’re doing this by hand.
- •Once you have completed this, make sure you thoroughly vacuum any dust left behind.
2. Stain the Wood Stairs
• The color of your wood stain will not always match the originally applied to the stairs. In other words, keep in mind that the longer it sets, the darker it will become.
- •Suppose you are using a water-based stain to refinish hardwood stairs and railings. After that, you’ll need more than one coat.
- •Using a paintbrush because its easy to apply the stain onto the wood stairs or use a rag and apply it that way.
- •Work quick and be sure the stain penetrates the wood and soaks into its pores
- •Be sure to wipe it with another clean rag so there is no puddle effect of stain on the wood stairway.
- •Let dry. Therefore, apply another coat to the stained stairs in the same process if you wish the stain to be a darker color.
3. The Trick for Staining Stairs and Railings
- •In addition, wood stairs may be good enough for some, there is an important step or trick to cover while refinishing stairs: “apply a top coat“
- • Either a water-based top coat for faster dry time or an oil-based for better application will do.
- • Lastly, allow to dry for time intended based on the container.
Have you read it right? If not, well, you better to.
Following all the steps may look simple but it takes some time especially when you’re DOING IT YOURSELF. You have to select the good quality tools and equipment for refinishing interior and exterior wood stairs in order to achieve the best output even with less knowledge. On the other hand, getting it done the first try won’t attain as require.
Also, choosing what color that go well for both exterior and interior painting is crucial. It is often the most difficult part, there are many shades to choose from and must be put together in the correct proportions. Thus, acquiring primary colors’ to be safe.
In conclusion, learning how to refinish stairs when in the mood for staircase refinishing is an excellent choice for beginners who want to know how to do this project efficiently. Now you can enjoy your newly finished staircases and wood stair railings! If this is just something you don’t have time for, give Home Painters Toronto a call!
Call us NOW at 416-494-9095 or by Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com
Also don’t forget to check us out on our social media channels below !
Top Related Blogs “How to Finish Wood Stairs”
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.