How To Repair a Loose or Broken Banister (Baluster)
How To Repair a Loose or Broken Banister
Have you ever started to walk down the stairs and gripped the baluster (also known as a banister), only to find it wobbling in your hand? That’s an accident just waiting to happen, and it doesn’t do anyone any good to have a broken or loose baluster in their home. Repairing broken banisters is not nearly as hard as you might think, and doesn’t always require you having to replace them. For the most part the damage isn’t caused by anything major happening, simply becoming loose due to daily use. As soon as you find out that your baluster requires repair you need to address it immediately as it presents a safety hazard to both you and anyone else living in your home.
Things You Will Need:
They’re also known as banisters, in case you were slightly confused.
- Tape Measure
- Wood Glue
- Drill and Drill Bits
- Matching Stair Trim
- Putty Knife
- Replacement Banister
1. Remove the Loose Baluster
- Start by cutting off the broken or loose baluster.
- Wooden banisters are glued on, so twisting it free should help it come off more easily.
- Take it apart where the dowel ends using your drill if it’s proving difficult to remove.
- Scrape off the old dried glue in the stair tread with a putty knife, as well as the glue on the underside of the baluster.
2. Replace Your Loose Banister
- Don’t let safety hazards exist in your home!If you haven’t already painted or stained the replacement banister then now is a good time to do so. Once it has fully dried you can go ahead and replace it.
- Using your drill, drill centers at the top end and the bottom end of the baluster.
- Fill the holes with wood glue.
- Put the replacement banister in place with the end that fits secure to the stair tread and to the hole on the underside of the banister.
- Let it sit and dry and you have successfully replaced a broken or loose banister!
Repairing a loose baluster (broken banister) is not very hard to do yourself, but if you are in need of some help Home Painters Toronto can provide it! Give us a call today at 416-494-9095 or email Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com.