A broken banister is a common occurrence in the household. Kids running around aloof. The more movement, the more the banister fractures or worst case, is completely broken. A stair banister goes through a lot daily, so it is quite strange that they hold up pretty well at times. Is it easy to fix a broken banister? In most cases, repairing such damage is not difficult. All you need is the right kind of glue and clamps to add pressure. Resin and Gorilla glue are the perfect materials for the job. Resin glue stays wet and is watery enough to get inside the cracks. In addition, it is a wood colour. Gorilla glue, also known as polyurethane, is a very resourceful glue. Unlike wood glue, gorilla glue can be used on multiple surfaces: metal, glass, concrete, foam, and many more. Resin and gorilla glue can repair most broken banisters. Below are the steps on how to fix a broken banister and what materials you will need to use.
How To Fix A Broken Banister
Materials and Tools To Fix A Broken Banister
- Gorilla glue or resin
- Draw bolts
- Putty knife
- Cordless drill
Please wear safety glasses, if possible. The small pieces of wood fibers or debris could potentially damage someone’s eyesight.
Steps on how to fix a broken banister
- Make sure to use the putty knife to clean any debris from the split or crack. Also make sure there are no chunks of wood inside, to ensure that the split or crack can close. If a certain piece is completely broken, clean it with the putty knife, scraping away any loose wood fibers. Try to test the fit and if needed, you can clean it again.
- Remove all outer bullnose pieces (rounded trim on the side). You can use your hammer or screwdriver for this. It needs to be even to prevent a split. In addition, number the pieces so that it could go in the right spots.
- Detach banister and all loose spindles.
- Drill new holes for the draw bolts on the bottom area of the banister, using the manufacturer’s information.
- Install the draw bolts and either using the gorilla or resin glue, put the banister back in place.
Glues hold things together and some adhesives are much stronger than others. Gorilla Glue fills in between materials, causing it to make a strong bond. If you have two different materials and they also have rough features, gorilla glue still forms a better bond. In addition, gorilla glue is best known for gluing pieces of wood together. Gorilla glue is waterproof and is easy to apply in extreme weather conditions. The main disadvantage would be that it foams up pretty quickly. This means depending on how much you use, it could create a huge mess for you to clean up. If you accidentally get it on your skin, it is very hard to remove.
Resin glue is famously used for construction purposes. It has superior bonding abilities, just like gorilla glue. It does take a long time for it to cure and that could be for as long as ten hours. Resin glue works best on wood because it requires very careful preparation and time.
- Strengthen banister pieces together with the draw bolts.
Tap spindles into place. Keep the banister secure using gorilla or resin glue.Continue using until all spindles are firm.
- Restore all bullnose pieces with the glue and screw them into its place.
If you’re in need of some interior painting inspiration, head over to our Pinterest page!
More interesting blogs related to ” How To Fix A Broken Banister “:
- The Value Staircase Painting Can Add To Your Home
- Bringing Warmth To A Room With Ceiling Painting
- Creative Staircase Painting Ideas
- Decorative Painting Ideas For Walls
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, our painters take their jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.