How to Choose the Right Colour Paint
Paint colour has the most dramatic effect on your home and it is the least expensive way to give it an update too
Repainting your home can be a very exciting project to take on. You get to transform the rooms of your home into your own creative masterpiece. Doesn’t that sound exciting? As always, the largest journeys begin with a single step, this step being choosing the right colour paint for your space. Today we’re going to dive into the process in choosing the best possible paint colour for your home renovation project.
STEP 1: Define the Mood
First things first, you’re going to define the mood of the room that you’re going to be painting. Consider the following things:
- Is the room somewhere that you want to relax or get excited?
- Is there an overall theme that you would like to apply to your room?
- Soft, cool paint colour usually gives a feeling of relaxation while stronger paint colours give more of a sense of drama.
STEP 2: Pay Attention to Lighting Before Choosing Paint Colour
One thing that is generally overlooked is the way that the room will be lit when all is said and done.
- There’s a reason that paint stores have light boxes, they want you to use them!
- Remember that natural daylight shows the truest paint colour.
- Incandescent lighting brings warm tones to the front.
- Fluorescent lighting tends to cast a blue tone over the paint colour.
A strong colour may not be the right choice if it is a wall that is next to a large window, but it could be effective for an indirectly lit situation.
STEP 3: Testing the Colours and Paint Colour Combinations
When you have your choice narrowed down to one or two paint colours, the next step would be to test the colour in your specific room of choice.
- This may seem overkill, but if you are not 100% sure, get a poster board-sized sample of your paint colour and hang it on the wall
- When testing paint colours, go beyond your comfort zone. If you like soft colours, try a couple warm ones. You never know what is going to click with you and your space until you give it a try!
STEP 4: Accenting the Wall
- Once you have chosen a paint colour to use, consider using some finishing techniques to add some depth to your wall. We have already done a tutorial on rag painting here.
- Also, if the room seems boring and has no real life to it, consider painting a feature accent wall. It’s amazing the difference an accent wall can really make on a room. Click through to see our blog on How to Paint Accent Walls in Toronto.
That’s all there is to it. Remember that this is, at the end of the day, a personal choice. You’re the one who is going to have to look at the wall every day, so if you don’t like it, choose a different paint colour !
We Can help you pick the right paint colour for the interior of your home in Toronto
Of course, if you would like some input in the process of painting your walls in Toronto and the GTA, why not give Home Painters Toronto a call? With over 25 years of experience in home renovations, call us NOW at 416.494.9095, or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com to get a FREE estimate for your interior painting project.