When you are planning on painting a room in your home, consider decorative painting ideas that will really make a statement. There are so many ideas out there, you can have fun exploring and deciding what will be the best idea for your space.
Decorative Painting Ideas for Walls
Be practical – what is the room being used for? Will a decorative painting project make sense in the space? Should you stick to one wall, the whole room, or is the room too small to support the pattern you like the best? Ask yourself these questions when planning out your space.
Decorative Painting for Your Interior Walls
Stencilling is one of those interior wall painting trends that never went out of style. There are so many makers out there, you will never run out of unique and innovative stencils to choose from. Stencils are a great way to create a uniform pattern all over your walls, a faux border, or even add some favourite simple sayings to add meaning to your space.
2. Painted Patterns.
- Decorative painting has never been so fun! Depending on the room, painting a pattern can really make a statement. You can choose to do an accent wall or continue the pattern all around the room. Either way, painted patterns are a great way to add some creativity to your space.
- Harlequin – A diamond pattern that can be both sophisticated and fun. It can be time consuming to map out, but worth it in the end. Consider using this pattern as an accent wall in your bedroom, or your entire dining room.
- Checkerboard – This is a more decorative modern pattern that will work well in a room with contemporary furniture. Consider using it in either your kitchen or living room to jive with the whole modern tech feel.
- Stripes – Stripes work well in any space, but particularly in smaller rooms where you want to create the illusion of it being larger then it is. It will work well in small bathrooms, powder rooms, guest rooms, etc. Go vertical to make the room seem taller, horizontal to make the room seem wider.
- Chevrons – This is a pattern that might work best on an accent wall or funky border around the room, as it can be a little busy.
- Gingham – this smaller decorative crosshatch pattern is pretty, but also time consuming. Gingham is a pattern that is often associated with picnic blankets and country table cloths. It would work well in a kitchen space but might be a great way to add texture as an accent wall in a bedroom.
- Polka dots – Moreover, polka dots are fun no matter what, but a kid’s bedroom comes to mind! It makes us think of blowing bubbles and having fun, while still being sophisticated enough to mature with over time.
3. Wall Graphics.
If you can get your hands on an overhead projector, the possibilities for decorative painting are endless. This is one of the best ways to create a wall mural if you are not artistically inclined. By copying any image you want onto plastic projector sheets, you can create as detailed a mural you want. You can also use this approach for patterns or border designs that you can’t find stencils for.
4. Faux Finish.
- Creating a decorative faux finish on your wall is a great decorating painting idea. It adds texture and can create the illusion of wallpaper or a different time. There are different ways to apply these techniques, most of which include using a glaze. Check with a paint specialist regarding what will work best for your desired finished. There are many great websites that will give you tips on how to do these techniques yourself.
- Rag painting, rag rolling
- Sponge painting
- Colour washing
- Linen weave
5. Unique accent walls
Accent walls are a fun way to mix it up, especially in a bedroom or dining room! They can really help to create a focal point in a space. Plus, they’re a great way to add a splash of personality as well. Also, if you want to go bold, but don’t want to completely overwhelm the room, an accent wall is the perfect compromise!
6. Ombre or sunset.
These decorative painting ideas are neat but time consuming. They would work best as an accent wall, and one that is not the largest wall in the room. For ombre, you really only need two colours, starting with the darker on the bottom and then blending it into the lighter as you work your way up. For a sunset, you will want to pick about 5 different colours to blend as you work up.
Similar to the idea of stenciling, you can create decorative patterns or borders using stamps. You can make your own with plywood and fleece or old fabric. The stamp leaves a rustic imprint, which makes the pattern stand out without being too bold. If you wanted to use a bold colour but were afraid of how bright it might be, using it for stamping might be a great way to have the best of both worlds.
Finally, if you are intrigued by the idea of being a little different with your interior wall painting ideas but you aren’t sure you can pull it off on your own, then consider hiring professional painting services. They will be able to consult with you regarding what you are looking for and give you an estimate on paint costs and labour. With all the fun that can be had with decorative painting, you can turn each room in your home into a masterpiece!
More interesting blogs related to ” Decorative Painting Ideas for Walls “
- How to Pick an Accent Wall for Painting Your Living Room
- How to Choose Living Room Paint
- Creative Staircase Painting Ideas for 2020
- Interior Home Paint Colour Trends For 2020 | Paint Colours Ideas
Home Painters Toronto would love to help. We have over 30 years of experience in home painting and renovations in Toronto and the GTA. Allow our professional painters to do all the work for you! Call us NOW at 416-494-9095, or email us at Brian@HomePaintersToronto.com or visit our website https://www.homepainterstoronto.com/ to get a FREE estimate for your interior painting projects.
From The Owner & Founder
Hello and welcome!
I’m both deeply honoured and flattered you are considering using our services.
Since 1987 when I was at York University simply earning my way through school, I’ve had the privilege to meet and work with thousands of amazing homeowners like yourself.
Besides the birth of my daughter, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a homeowner’s life change when we have transformed their dream home into a masterpiece. For that reason, we take our jobs very seriously and are committed to our cause.
At Home Painters our mission is to paint homeowners’ dreams, and make your painting experience last a lifetime!
I look forward to hopefully meeting you one day, as it brings me tremendous joy to make homeowner’s dreams come true.