Brick staining compared to painting, seems like a tedious task. While it’s true, it requires more effort. The homeowner will benefit if they choose to stain or paint their exterior brick. Exterior season is just around the corner, and you the homeowner, have tough decisions to make about your brick exterior. If you are on the fence about whether to stain or paint your brick, here are some reasons why staining is the superior option.
Understanding Brick Staining vs Brick Painting
Brick staining and brick painting are two popular approaches to changing the colour or enhancing the appearance of brickwork. Brick staining involves applying a semi-translucent stain to the brick surface, which penetrates the pores and permeates the masonry. Conversely, brick painting requires an opaque, covering layer that sits atop the brick’s surface.
TOP QUESTIONS COVERED IN THIS BLOG
1. What are the Advantages of Staining Brick?
You may ask yourself, “Is staining brick better than painting?” The short answer is “Yes, it is!“. Staining is more robust and can lead to your brick exterior looking great for many years. Painting may seem like a classic option, but it is outdated for your brick exterior.
- Longevity, staining brick will last for a lifetime. When you stain, it becomes part of the brick and avoids peeling like paint would.
- Variety of colours, staining also allows the home-owner to have the option to go semi-transparent, which illuminates the hues at a modest level.
- Materials needed are much higher-end, so you are guaranteed lasting results.
- Seals the brick, allowing the bricks to breathe more comfortably and no bubbling or blistering, which is something paint does over time.
2. What are the Advantages of Brick Staining over Brick Painting?
Painting your brick exterior may sound like an easier task for both you and your hired company, but this is not necessarily true. Painting does cost less than staining but for a good reason. The exterior of your home goes through a lot. You want to give it appropriate armour and cover for the tribulations it endures.
- Paint will not last as long as staining
- Has the chance to peel over time
- Paint will be more susceptible to harsh weather conditions
- It does not look as good as staining brick
3. What is the cost of Brick Staining?
Before you determine your exterior makeover’s costs, it is paramount that you pick the right company. Home Painters Toronto has over 35 years of experience, exterior, interior; we do it all at an elite level. Please do your research and find companies with decades of reviews and ratings compared to newer companies finding their footing in the painting world.
Now, assuming that you have selected the right company, the cost for exterior brick staining may surprise you.
- Bungalows (800-1200 square feet) will start at around $4,000 CAD + HST and go up to $7,000 CAD + HST.
- Two-story houses (1500-2500 square foot) will be a low of $6,000 CAD + HST, with a hight of $15,000 CAD + HST.
- Three-story houses (3000+ square foot) start from the $8,000 CAD + HST range and can be as high as $20,000 CAD + HST.
- These prices assume that the job uses solid stains, which is what most homeowners desire for exterior brick staining.
Brick staining cost is about 5% more of what it would cost to paint brick. This is a small amount in the long run for your exterior brick having longevity and a colour that will not fade over time.
4. What Colour You Should Choose?
Now, this is entirely subjective to the homeowner. When staining exterior brick, you want to be 100% sure the colour you choose is the one you want for life. Factors like what type of home you have and the neighbourhood you are in should play a vital role when deciding.
- In 2022, most popular greys for brick stain amongst homeowners in Toronto and the GTA
- Charcoal colours are a stylish and new forming trend for exteriors
- Muted blacks are a classic choice that customers have loved after seeing the finished result
- Brown and white palettes are a good choice if you want to keep your exterior lighter
5. How Should Staining Brick Be Applied?
The process requires general prep for this job to be done successfully. However, before exterior brick staining is started, the bricks need to be cleaned. Here at Home Painters Toronto, we generally stick with a brush and roll to ensure an excellent and spotless finished job.
- Fixing the grout area requires minor filling with grout caulking.
- Brick replacement is a specialized task that needs a bricklayer or mason labourer.
- Spraying should only be used in the home has a significant amount of space from other houses. 20 and 30ft apart is ideal.
- Brush, rolls, and spray are preferred, depending on circumstances; for example, if there are many cars nearby, painters should be wary not to overspray.
6. Staining Brick by Yourself (DIY)
Suppose you are confident with your exterior design skills, then all the more power to you. Staining brick can be a fun task to do over a long weekend or time off. Home-owners wanting to do the job by themselves usually have experience with painting. If you are a novice and looking to do it by yourself, you need to consider a few things.
- Make sure you are comfortable with ladders
- Be a pro at cutting and rolling; cutting clean lines is essential for staining brick exterior.
- Research videos online on how to stain brick exterior before you start.
- Painting experience is necessary; you need to be confident in your painting skills before staining the brick exterior.
Now, if you are having second doubts about doing the job yourself, you can always hire a company to do the hard work for you. Home Painters Toronto has over 34 years of exterior and interior work experience. Companies like us will ensure that the staining of your brick exterior is done flawlessly with no error.
Why Hire a Professional for Brick Staining?
While a DIY approach to brick staining may seem like a budget-friendly option, hiring a professional offers numerous advantages that ensure a superior finish and longer-lasting results. Here’s why you should consider hiring a professional for your brick-staining or brick repair project:
Brick staining is an art that requires professional skill. The inconsistency of brick surfaces combined with the need for accurate stain application can make DIY attempts look patchy or uneven. Professionals, with their technical knowledge and hands-on experience, can ensure a seamless, uniform application.
Access to High-Quality Materials:
Experienced professionals have access to high-quality, commercial-grade brick stains that you cannot find at your local home improvement store. These superior products often yield better, more enduring results.
Preparation and Cleanup:
Before staining, bricks require thorough cleaning to remove any dirt, grime, or efflorescence. Post-staining, excess materials must be efficiently cleaned up. Both these tasks can be laborious. A professional, however, includes these services within the job, ensuring a hassle-free experience for you.
Like any home renovation task, brick staining can be time-consuming, especially if you’re new to it. Hiring a professional can free up your time for other important activities or enable you to simply relax.
A professional can identify and treat a myriad of issues during the staining process such as mildew, efflorescence, or water damage. This early detection can prevent larger, more costly problems down the line.
While hiring a professional might have a higher upfront cost, the longevity and quality of the professionally stained brickwork often prove more cost-effective in the long run. The need for touch-ups or repairs is significantly reduced, saving maintenance expenses down the line.
Finally, professional brick-staining companies carry insurance. This safeguards you from being liable for any unforeseen incidents or accidents that may occur during the project.
7 Reasons Why Brick Staining is Far Superior Than Brick Painting
Top Related Blogs Related to
“WHY BRICK STAINING IS SUPERIOR TO BRICK PAINTING?”
If you reside in Toronto and the GTA and need some help figuring out the exterior painting costs per square foot, don’t hesitate to call us! We will help you pick the colours you want and show you the latest painting and home renovation trends. Our home painting services with the best pro painters have been around now for over 36 years.